Saturday, February 25, 2012

'Looks Too Hard'

     Last week I was in the model car section of Hobby Lobby, shopping for some black lacquer paint.  A couple down the isle was browsing the model kits.

   "Here, you could build the Batmobile," she said.  (My ears perked at this.)

The man picked up the box and looked at all the pictures.

    "Looks too hard."

     I smiled, but kept my secret to myself.  The secret is that I am building the Batmobile - but no little model kit.  I'm building the real thing, life size, from scratch.

     I'm turning my 1997 miata into the 1966 Batmobile.

     I've been building it for over a year, and I'm almost half done.  What started out as a project has turned into my hobby (or ridiculous obsession, depending on which villian, butler, or wife you ask).

Here's what I have right now:

It's lumpy, it's crafty, it's made of cardboard and foam and hot glue.  (With some fiberglass resin and carbon fiber tape thrown in it to hold it together.)

In the following posts, I'll show you how I got here, and then I'll update as I finish the front half and construct the rear.  Eventually, I hope to share pictures and stories about driving, traveling and working in the Batmobile.  (I work nights as a Pizza Delivery Driver.)

In between, I plan to share assorted Batmobile miscellanium: other DIY Batmobiles, strange toys, bootlegs, ponderings, photos, and more.



No comments:

Post a Comment